Thursday, August 23, 2012

August reviews from Albert Park!

The tale of Despereux by Kate Dicamillo - reviewed by Jo

It’s about a poor girl whose father exchanges her for a red tablecloth (!). She becomes a servant but isn’t treated very well. She then is sent to work in a castle for a princess. One of her jobs is to go down to the dungeon and feed the prisoners. While down there she meets a community of mice.

I’m giving it because it is not one of my favourite books – it goes back and forth too much.  It’s an interesting story but it was a bit hard to follow sometimes.


The hunger games by Suzanne Collins - reviewed by Emma

Katniss is put into a competition called the Hunger Games where the contestants have to fight to the death until only one person is left.

I’m giving this book 5/5 .  It’s the only time I have ever given a book this score, the reason is that it has great adventure, many twists and turns and a lot of issues to think about.  I wouldn’t change a word in this book. Gripping!


Danny the champion of the world by Roald Dahl - reviewed by Alex G.

Danny loves his dad, but finds out that his dad is illegally shooting pheasants.  Then he starts teaching Danny to go poaching with him! 

I’m giving it 3/5 because I have read a few Roald Dahl books now and it’s starting to get a bit boring and this book is not as funny as some of his others.


The tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler - reviewed by Emma G.

A girl has swimming lessons, she becomes scared when she realises her legs have turned into a tail.  She goes to the ocean where she meets Shona who takes her to mermaid school.

I’m giving it 4/5 because it’s a bit weird – the story goes up and down and sort of jumps and doesn’t make sense.


Skulduggery Pleasant: kingdom of the wicked by Derek Landy - reviewed by Vincent

It’s a bit confusing in places – but I kind of liked that because I never knew what was going to happen next.  There was lots of crushing of heads and ripping out of spines so it’s a bit gruesome. 

I’m giving it 6/5 Gruesome! I like it when people tear each other up!


Wicked by Paul Jennings - reviewed by Che

Boy who receives a dried up apple in the mail, it has slugs oozing out of it which get bigger and bigger and start eating people up. Awesome!

5/5 Really good.


Fablehaven by Brendan Mull - reviewed by Annabelle

Storyline twists and turns in interesting ways.  It goes in ways you don’t expect it, I can’t say anymore than that. 

I’m giving it 5/5 I loved it.


The shadow thief by Alexandra Adornetto - reviewed by Harriet

The main characters are two children who live in a town called Drabfield where everything is the same and dull and boring.  The mayor of Drabfield is keeping everyones shadow and the children want to find out why.

It was well written until the conclusion so I’m only giving it 3/5 because the ending was disappointing and boring.



Alex told us about a poem called Middle Park Zoo he had written for a school competition and he won!  He won an Andy Griffiths book and he was quite chuffed and wanted to share it with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!