Monday, October 29, 2018

I Am Zaya by Audrey



I am Zaya

“CRACK! BANG!” goes the lightning on a dark and stormy night. It was pouring down with rain. I couldn’t sleep.  I got up out of bed slowly opened up the door and left without a noise. I was hungry the food the nuns gave us was yuck it had weevils in it. As I opened up the kitchen door hoping there might somehow actually be something edible in there. As I creep across the kitchen floor just hoping there would be something for me. Slowly I open the larder door hearing the door creek praying everyone would be asleep.

“Please,” I whispered to myself as I opened my eyes to see the door shut and a nun looking right at me. Busted. “Number 23, what are you doing. You now we have extreme laws here about children being up past daylight hours. This is in no way acceptable at all. I have no reason to not punish you,” “please Ma’am,” I pleaded. “No meals for a week!”

Later That night I lay in bed looking up at the stars. Then something hit me. Memories. They came streaming back to me reminding me of who I am. For the first time in two years I smile. I remembered Mum and Dad and baby Isa, I remembered Toby and how we had been the best friends we ever could be. I remember the sound of the trucks rolling up the driveway coming to take us away. I remember Toby screaming my name as we got separated on two different trucks.I felt a single tear trickle down my cheek.

I am Zaya
I do not belong here
They do not know me
They do not no that one day I will be free

My plan is simple
I will be free

 I tiptoe out of my room I keep watch for the night nun. As I creep around the corner I spot her, the night nun I hide in the cupboard and wait for her to walk by. I slip out of the cupboard and creep up the behind the Night nun and slip the key of chain.

The Night Nun turns around but I’ve already turned the corner just in time. I walk by the Nuns’ room and hear them chatting about how much pain we are to them. I see their kanes lined up against the wall I duck below the window so they don’t see me.

I reach the door and I’m shaking. I am scared.

I slip the key into the lock. And I hear the click. I push open the door and see the outside that I haven't seen in two years.

I hear the door to the Nuns’ room open as I see sister Sistine come out I rush to get out just in time.

I am outside for the first time in two years and I don’t no what to do. I walk along the street and I see a big brick building that says ‘mission of boys that are in need’ they’re not in need I think, they’ve been taken away from their families to somewhere where they get treated like spit.

I think just for a moment. Then I hope. I hope this is where they took Toby.

I take a step forward and trip. I get and see a key on the street. I go up to the lock and slip the key in then slowly turn it holding my breath.

The door creeps open and I walk in. The first door the to the left say 49, 52,63,24 I think these are kid’s numbers. The next one says 12, 72, 59, 89, 42. I walk to the end where the door has the numbers 92, 84, 93, 86 on it. I open the door and walk in I don’t think. As soon as I take steps a boy sits up and yells out. Suddenly a Nun comes. I run. In the hallway there is another Nun. I run down some more hallways and finally I Find a cupboard open it and climb in.
“I’m sorry Ma’am, I’m sorry Ma’am,” I hear as soon as I shut the door. I recognize that voice. Then a single tear comes out, then another, then another. Before I can stop myself I bawling my eyes out. “Toby it’s me,” is all I manage to say in between breaths. “Zaya,” I hear in reply. “I’ve got the key” I whisper. “Zaya,” hear again.

“Toby, it’s okay” I whisper back to him. I then slip open the door and creep out. Toby follows me. “Turn left then right that's where the back door is,” “okay,” I reply as I take Left turn then a right.

I slip the key into the lock and open the door. We step out and shut it behind us.

We don’t say anything as we walk along the street. Then Toby pauses “for the first time in two years,” he whispers “I know,” I replied. Then I wrap my arms around him and we hug. When I let him go I manage to say “We are free,” as I’m crying again, but this time he is too and It makes me smile.

“Are you ready to start again,” I ask him. “Yes,” he replies as we walk off into the moonlight hand in hand.

For I am grateful

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!