Friday, August 19, 2011

Flip Flap's Great Adventure... by Melisand

"A-a-a-a-tishoo!" sneezed Flip Flap. Ring-ring, ring-ring went the phone. "Hello? Yes, this is Flip Flap the doctor-parrot." "I'm Gecko the journalist from Channel 8 TV. I'm ring, ringing to find out about your extraordinary adventure on Kangaroo and Coco Island!" "Ok I get it, but I've got an appointment in a minute or two!" "That's ok because my phone battery is running out. I'll ring, ring back at one o'clock. Does that suit you?" "Perfectly" answered Flip Flap.

At one o'clock just as planned Gecko the journalist called. "Now can you tell me your adventure on Kangaroo and Coco Island?"

"One day I was in my Clinic and my patient gave me my money but as I touched it, it turned into an invitation to Kangaroo and Coco Island festival. But as soon as I said 'how do I get there?' my question was answered because the invitation turned into a beautiful map. I found a big, brass key and turned it in the clinic door. Before I could move a claw .. I found myself in a cabin in a boat ready to depart for Kangaroo and Coco Island.

As soon as I arrived there my eyes would not blink. I stood in awe of this amazing place! I remembered why I had come here and went to find the festival. But when I saw it disaster struck! The people who ran it couldn't calm some frightened deer and kangaroos! Before I could squawk 'falling coconuts and rainbow parrots' they needed me! As I quickly ran over I remembered how successful I was at soothing antelopes. Surely it would work on deer?"

"Sorry to interrupt your story Flip Flap but did you ever sooth the deer in the festival?" questioned Gecko. "Yes I did" said Flip Flap impatiently. "Now where was I? I have my thoughts about calming the deer but then realised I always have my 'calming book' with me wherever I go. I decided that I should use it for excellent tips. I quickly looked at the contents page and flipped to page 14 paragraph 3. I had to read in my head to keep up with my brain (that's how fast I was reading!). FINALLY... I explained how to calm the animals. First you had to mix grass and hay into a little ball and feed it to the deer and kangaroos by hand. Keep feeding them gently and giving them little bits of food from the ball of grass and hay!"

"Sorry to interrupt again but... did your soothing task actually work on the deer and the kangaroos?" asked Gecko again. "Yes it did" groaned Flip Flap even more impatiently. "The people who ran the festival exclaimed 'Well Done!' and 'Stay forever!' Before long it was time to leave. I was sad about leaving but promised to return. Before I left Kangaroo and Coco Island I threw a stone into a river and attached my wish of good luck. Then... I turned my big brass key in the cabin door and I reappeared in the Clinic with 'A-a-a-a-tishooo' ringing in my ears from my patient."

"What do you think?" asked Flip Flap. "Wonderful!" answered Gecko, "this will be on TV tomorrow at 7 o'clock." "B..b..but.." Flip flap stammered in surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!