Saturday, August 8, 2015

The magic scarf ... by Agnes

My name is Valerie Xzing (the X is silent). I’m eleven years old and I live with my Grandma Ethel since my parents died in a car accident. I’m a girl but not just any normal girl. I’ll tell you the story that turned my boring eleven year old life upside-down.

It was a stormy day in the middle of winter. I was sitting down and reading my favourite book ‘Harry Potter and the goblet of fire’. “Valerie, I need to go shopping, and you’re coming with me,” said Grandma Ethel. “I would let Faye your babysitter look after you but she still has tonsillitis. Silly girl, she shouldn’t be hanging around anyone who has tonsillitis.” I laughed quietly to myself because I was the one that Faye got it from. Grandma’s the silly one!

As Grandma and I were walking to the grocery store I spotted a scarf that was pink, grey and purple with little pink pom-poms on it. I really wanted it. “Gran, can I get that scarf? It’s really pretty and it will also keep me nice and warm”, I asked my Grandma. “I don’t know, that shop looks a bit strange to me.” She said in a worried voice. “Oh please, please, please can I get it”, I plead. My Grandma sighed and gave me some money. I ran off forgetting to thank her. I pushed open the door and a little bell rang as I stepped inside. I see an old lady behind the counter. I walk up to her. I pointed to the pink, grey and purple scarf. “Can I buy that scarf in the shop window?” The old lady stepped away from the counter, showing her scrawny legs. She certainly took her time getting the scarf. “That will be $20”, the old lady said in a wheezy voice once she finally got to the counter. “You know that scarf could hold magic powers. You never know with the things in this store”, the old woman added as I give her the money. I hurried out of the shop a little bit scared by what the old lady said.        

I lay down in my bed, awake, staring at my pet galah Snowflakes. “HELLO”, he screeched, spreading his wings. “Shush, Snowflakes”, I whisper. There was a flashing light in the hallway. What was it? I got out of my bed and followed the light. It led me to my scarf, which was lying on the floor. I picked it up and examined it. “Nothing unusual”, I thought. I put it on and I went back to my room and looked at Snowflakes. Before my eyes, Snowflakes turned into a beautiful bird made of glimmering ice. I gasped. And it looked like there was a barrier protecting Snowflakes from something. Then I realised that of course, it’s to protect the ice from the sun! I sat down on the floor, thinking of all the amazing things I could do with this magic scarf.

I woke up to find myself curled up in a ball on the floor. Memories of last night came rushing through my head. I picked up the scarf and put it on and looked at a doll Grandma had given me. I hated that doll. I stared at its plastic eyes and it turned into ice and melted. “Huh” I say. I realised then that the scarf turns things I love into ice with protective barriers, and it melts things I hate.

“What is that little girl doing with that scarf, Gumball”, Willow says to her dog while watching me melting things and turning things into ice. Willow lives in the house across the road. “WOOF” Gumball barks, “You’re right Gumball, the scarf must have magic powers. We have to steal it. You know how much I love the cold weather.”

I walk into the kitchen to find some pancakes and a note from Grandma: Good morning Valerie. I’ve gone to the gym as usual, help yourself to some pancakes. Love Grandma Ethel.

I quickly eat my pancakes and get ready to go for a walk. I leave the house forgetting to lock the door. I also leave my scarf behind because I am scared that I will turn someone into ice.

“Hmm, looks like they have both left the house" says Willow, while staring from her bedroom window, watching Valerie walk down the street. "This is the perfect time to steal the scarf Gumball.” Willow gets dressed, walks across the road to Valerie’s house and quietly opens the gate. Her heels clip-clop on the cobblestone as she walks to the front door. The door is unlocked. She sneaks around the house to Valerie’s bedroom. The scarf is on the bedside table. Grabbing it, Willow rushes across the road back to her house.

When I get back from my walk Grandma’s at home watching some TV. I walk into the living room. “Hi Gran” I say. “Where have you been?”, she asks casually. “I just went on a walk”, I answer, but Grandma seems to be more interested in what’s on TV than me so I go back to my room. The scarf’s gone! I look everywhere but there is no sign of it. Now I’m worried. I grab my notebook and a pen, run out  onto the street and go up and down the street door-knocking, asking my neighbours if they’ve seen anyone wearing a pink, grey and purple scarf with pink pom-poms. Just when I was about to give up someone tells me “I saw that lady across the road from you holding the exact same scarf you’re talking about.” That was all the information I needed. I walk back to my house and into my room to figure out a plan to get my scarf back.  

When I hear Grandma snoring, I jump out of my bed already dressed and get my torch. I quietly walk out of the house and across the road to Willow’s house. I try to open the front gate, but it won’t budge. I try climbing it but there are big spikes on top. Then I see a gap between the gate and the fence that I might be able to fit through. I squeeze through and it works! Suddenly I hear growling. I look down to see a little dog. The dog starts barking. I squeeze back out to the other side of the fence. “I need something to distract it” I say to myself.  Then I remember the piece of meat Grandma bought earlier today that we were going to have for dinner tomorrow. “Aha, I can use that big piece of meat”, I say to myself. "I could get the piece of meat that we’re having for dinner tomorrow” I run back to my house and open the fridge. Right in front of me is a big steak wrapped in glad-wrap. I take the steak and walk back to Willow’s house. This time, before I squeeze through the gap I throw the steak over the fence. When I get through the gap the dog is already chewing on the steak.

I try to open the front door, I look around. There is a gate leading to the back garden. It’s open. I walk through the gate to the back door. Holding my breath, I twist the door handle. I’m in luck, the back door opens. I calmly walk inside the house and turn on my torch and flick the torch light around the room. I’m in the kitchen. I keep flicking the torch light around and then I spot something pink on a little table. I pick it up. It’s my scarf! Suddenly, “BANG!”, a door somewhere in the house slams shut. I hear creaking floorboards. Someone is walking around the house. A shadowy figure appears, coming ever closer. In a panic now, I quickly hide under the little table as the figure comes into view. The figure stops right beside me. I can hear it breathing. “Who’s there”, it growls. “I know you’re there”. At this point I’m scared witless. Clutching the scarf, I make a dash for the back door, run to the fence, out through the gap as if my life depended on it. “I will get that scarf back don’t you worry!” I hear a distant voice say, as I run across the road, home.

Next morning, I wake up at 10:00am. I’m still super tired after what happened the night before.
“Valerie, where are you. You haven’t been up this late since that sleepover you had”,  my Grandma says crossly. Grandma is standing right beside my bed. “Valerie, do you know where the piece of meat we were going to have tonight is?” Her voice sounds a bit cross.

“Grandma, it’s a long story...”, I say.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us!